In order to use this site, you must agree to the Cookies Policy and the Privacy Statement.


You will be logged out in one minute

Information about offering a home

Tens of thousands of people have fled to Ireland seeking safety from the horror of war in Ukraine.

We know that Irish people want to welcome and help these people, carrying on the long tradition we have in this country of supporting other nations in times of trouble.

We are asking anybody who has a house, apartment or holiday home that is not currently being used to offer it to people and families from Ukraine who need a safe place to stay.

Your local authority will manage your offer and keep you informed throughout the process.

A tax-free recognition payment of €800 per month is available to anybody offering accommodation to those fleeing Ukraine. More details are available below.

Your local authority will be happy to answer any questions you might have about this programme or what you can expect if you offer a property. Find contact details here.

Your questions answered

Who is managing this programme?

The 'Offer a Home' programme is being managed by local authorities on behalf of Government.

What kind of properties are needed?

This call is for offers of houses, apartments or holiday homes.

We are looking for properties that are currently unoccupied and could provide accommodation to those fleeing war in Ukraine.

We need stand-alone properties with the main facilities required for independent living.

A separate programme is being run by the Irish Red Cross seeking pledges of spare rooms or accommodation that would be shared with the owner or others - find out more here.

Is there any payment for the property?

Rent is not payable as you are offering the property but a tax-free payment of €800 per month (from December 1st) per property is available through the Government's Recognition Payment Scheme.

The payment is available to anybody who provides accommodation to Ukrainian people.

This scheme is managed by the Department of Social Protection, and you will have to apply for the payment separately.

The payment is tax-free and is disregarded for means-tested grants/payments.

An online or written application may be made to the Department of Social Protection for the payment where you have accommodated a Ukrainian national for the previous month. The payment is conditional on a commitment to provide the accommodation for a period of 6 months. If applicable, payments may be back-dated.

You can find more details here.

How do I offer a property?

This call for offers is being managed by local authorities so you can either:
• Offer a property via the website by registering here.
• Contact the local authority in which your property is located - you can find contact details here.

If you offer your property online, you will be able to sign in to your account at any stage to update your details or to check the progress of your offer.

What can I expect if I offer a property?

We want to make this process as simple as possible for you and provide you with support if you need it.

You can expect that once you offer a property the local authority your property is in will be in touch with you quickly and will maintain contact with you throughout the process. If you offer your property online, you will also be able to sign in to your account at any stage to check the progress of your offer.

Step 1

You offer your property through the website or by contacting the local authority for your property.

Step 2

The local authority will contact you to confirm some details, discuss the process with you and answer any queries you may have.

Step 3

If you are happy to proceed, and your property is suitable, the local authority will arrange to assess the property. This is because properties must meet certain minimum standards and the assessment also helps to ensure the local authority can find the best match for the property.

Step 4

The local authority will let you know if the property meets the required standard.

If the property met the required standards, the local authority will begin work to match the property to the most suitable people in need of accommodation.

If the property does not meet the standards, the local authority will give you further information on what the issues were and how they might be addressed.

Step 5

When a suitable Ukrainian person or family has been identified and has agreed that they wish to take up the offer, the local authority will notify you and they will facilitate contact between you and the beneficiary.

The local authority will also provide you and the beneficiary with a template licence agreement, which you can choose to adapt or sign with the beneficiary before they move in.

After move-in and during the stay

Throughout the arrangement, the local authority will maintain contact with you and with the Ukrainian beneficiary and offer support if necessary.

When it comes to the end of the arrangement, the local authority can support the Ukrainian person or family to find alternative accommodation through other offered properties or through the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.

What are the standards required of offered properties?

Properties need to be habitable and must meet certain health and safety standards, which the local authority can discuss with you. These standards have been agreed by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.

The local authority will assess your property to make sure it meets the standards. If the property does not meet the standards, the local authority will explain why and can discuss what could be done to bring the property up to standard.

Some properties may not be suitable for all those in need of accommodation, due to location or other reasons. However, every effort will be made by the local authority to ensure that offered properties are matched to appropriate beneficiaries.

How long will the property be required for?

The local authority will discuss with you how long you would like to make the property available for initially in order to match the property to the most appropriate person or family.

A time period for the arrangement will be agreed before move-in.

When the arrangement comes to an end, if you do not wish to extend, the local authority can support the Ukrainian person or family to find alternative accommodation through other offered properties or through the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.

Will there be any form of formal agreement?

It is recommended that property owners and beneficiaries sign a temporary accommodation licence agreement to protect the rights of the property owner and the beneficiary, and to protect the property itself.

The local authority can provide a template agreement, which can be used or adapted as required. Ukrainian and Russian language versions of the templates are available.

The 'licence period' should be stated on the licence agreement. At the end of the period, the licence period can be extended with the agreement of all parties.

Who can I contact if I have any queries or difficulties during the arrangement?

Local authority staff will be available to support you and offer information and advice throughout the arrangement. You can find contacts here.

Who pays utility bills for the property?

You should agree this with the beneficiary at the outset of the arrangement. It is reasonable that the beneficiary would pay or contribute to the bills.

Should the beneficiaries require assistance in transferring bills to their names, they may contact Citizens Information, Community Response Fora or other groups assisting Ukrainians in their area.

Do I need to be Garda vetted to offer accommodation?

No, as we are seeking stand-alone unoccupied accommodation, Garda vetting is not required of the property owner.